Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dum dum dum dum


This is a recycled post, which I posted on my other blog back at the beginning of March. But I felt it was a pretty good summary of my general wedding feelings, so thought I'd republish here. Please enjoy my extreme sarcasm and general distate of the wedding industry...

Some of you may have realized from previous posts that I am not the hugest fan of the whole wedding hoopla. OK, fine. "Not the hugest fan" is kind of a euphemism for "I think it is all the hugest load of materialistic crap."

There, I've said it.

I think the whole fancy schmancy Save the Dates, mile-high centerpieces, cake-crafted-in-the-shape-of-an-Orca-whale, $10k Vera Wang dress is a huge insult to the institution of marriage.

Basically, people want to have a huge blowout performance, flaunt their wealth, and try and upstage their friends.

I despise it

My wedding hatred has increased exponentially over the years, as I have more of a first hand look into the inanity involved with the whole process. Suffice it to say that I have vowed to myself to never, ever, be a Bridezilla. In fact, I consider myself the anti-Bridezilla.

But.

That was before I was cursed with The Power of The Ring, which, wouldn't you know, has Crazy-Making properties all it's own.

Within 24 hours of getting engaged, I had been bombarded with the question "So have you set the date? What are you thinking? Do you have a time frame yet?" approximately ten thousand times. Who knew some diamonds came along with so much pressure?

The low point was when Jared and I decided to create a preliminary guest list, just for kicks, just to see what we're looking at, and... wow. Mistake. Big mistake. HUGE. Let's just say, within minutes I was all Bridezillaed out and snarling evil ring-induced retorts about some of Jared's choices.

I've chosen to think of that Guest List Bridezilla Hour as my wake up call. In my desperate resolve to have a mellow, fun. and completely non-stressful wedding, I started stressing out pretty much immediately.

I will be trying my very very hardest not to fall prey to the Bridal Crazies again. And be warned that I will NOT be having Save the Dates, a poofy dress, floral centerpieces, favors, a wedding party, or any of that other malarkey.

My sister, on the other hand, may be well on her way to the land of the Maidzilla...

{Photo via lenacorwin - aka a perfectly lovely, mellow outdoor wedding}

No comments: